The Lowry Studio, Cheshire Rural Touring Arts and Spot On, Lancashire’s Rural Touring Network are looking for expressions of interest from theatre companies / solo theatre-makers based in the North who would like to make a new piece of theatre that can show in both studio theatres and rural touring venues.
This is an exciting opportunity to explore different touring possibilities that encourage a sustainable future in the theatre industry. The package of support will include:
• An introduction to rural touring as a distinct part of the theatre industry
• Mentoring sessions to help you explore the different opportunities and challenges in studio and rural touring
• Access to bespoke professional and artistic development opportunities that can help you develop as a company or solo artist
• A cash investment towards the production costs for a new show that can tour across theatres and rural touring venues
• Rehearsal space and feedback for your work as it develops
• A full production week at The Lowry including five days of technical support
• Two premiere performances at The Lowry in Spring 2016
• Inclusion into the Spring 2016 programmes of both Cheshire Rural Touring and Spot On, Lancashire’s Rural Touring Network
• Invitation to the 2015 National Rural Touring Forum conference in Wymondham College, Norfolk from 14-16 July
• Inclusion into The Lowry’s annual Spring showcase of supported work for theatre programmers and producers.
We are looking for companies or solo artists who have some experience of touring (either studio touring or rural touring, but not both) and are based in the North East, North West or Yorkshire. We are more excited by new stories told in interesting ways than by productions of well-known titles, and we are open to all kinds of theatre from drama to puppetry to physical theatre to contemporary practice – and everything in between. We would particularly welcome proposals that embrace movement or digital content, whilst being aware of the challenges that this may present in diverse rural touring settings.
If you are interested, please email Matt Eames at email@example.com with some information about your work to date, a discussion of why this is the right opportunity for this point in your development and a description of the production you’d like to make as part of the project by Mon 9 March 2015.
Please note submissions should be limited to 2 sides of A4 though you may wish to include additional images and/or links to further information online.
The Lowry Studio Artist Development programme is generously supported by Jerwood Charitable Foundation and Esmee Fairbairn Foundation.